8 minute readArmy Roll of Honor

Shaurya Chakra Recipients

Colonel Neeraj Sood (IC-51655), Shaurya Chakra (Posthumous), Commanding Officer, 18 Rashtriya Rifles.

Colonel Neeraj Sood, Commanding Officer, 18 Rashtriya Rifles devised and effected a judicious surveillance and ambush plan on 13 June, 2010, which subsequently resulted in contact with terrorists at 2105 hours on 22 June, 2010 in the area of Kupwara in Jammu and Kashmir. Astutely sensing that terrorist movement would evade the cordon, the Commanding Officer swiftly deployed his troops to tactically advantageous positions. Boldly leading from the front, the officer formed the focal point of the cordon re-established contact at 2212 hours on 22 June, 2010. In the ensuing gunfight, Colonel Sood personally targeted and injured one terrorist. Identifying the key role of Colonel Neeraj Sood, the terrorists concentrated their fire on him. In the fierce gun battle that ensued, the officer sustained a fatal bullet injury.

Havildar Dayal Singh (No-4076512), Shaurya Chakra (Posthumous).

On 13 January, 2010 Havildar Dayal Singh, as part of the Battalion Intelligence Team, was tasked to cordon a suspected house from the rear. At 2330 hours, while the parties were still getting into position, three terrorists rushed out of the rear door firing indiscriminately. Havildar Dayal Singh immediately engaged them and blocked their escape route forcing them to take cover in the vicinity. A firefight ensued with heavy automatic fire from the terrorists desperate to escape. However, the potential risk to civilians in the hut warranted a measured response. At grave risk to himself and displaying exemplary restraint, Havildar Dayal Singh fired back very selectively, preventing any casualties or collateral damage. The sensible response from him ensured the safe evacuation of the trapped civilians while keeping the terrorists pinned down. The NCO, with utter disregard for his own safety, dashed forward and shot dead one terrorist at close quarters. In the process he was struck by a bullet in the left eye. Bleeding profusely, he continued to engage the other two till he lost consciousness and later succumbed to his injury.

Lance Naik Anoop Kumar Sharma (No-14438439), Shaurya Chakra (Posthumous).

On the night of 06/07 May, 2010 surveillance cum multiple ambushes were launched based on inputs about the presence of terrorists in a general area in Baramulla district of Jammu and Kashmir. Lance Naik Anoop Kumar Sharma was the scout of one such party. On 07 May, 2010 around 0500 hours Sharma observed suspicious movement. Upon being challenged, the terrorists opened indiscriminate fire. Realizing the safety of his comrades to be at stake, Sharma, with utter disregard to personal safety, retaliated with effective fire and dashed towards the terrorists. In spite of being grievously injured in the process with his effective and accurate fire the individual eliminated two terrorists before falling unconscious. Lance Naik Anoop Kumar Sharma displayed indomitable determination and exceptional bravery and made the supreme sacrifice for the nation.

Sepoy Shailesh Kumar Singh (No-4282393), Shaurya Chakra (Posthumous).

On 02 April, 2010 during a search and destroy operation in the forests of Rajouri District in Jammu and Kashmir, Sepoy Shailesh Kumar Singh had taken position fifty meters away from the location of terrorists and was bringing down effective Multiple Grenade Launcher fire, pinning them down. After a prolonged fire fight two terrorists attempted to break the cordon by firing indiscriminately and charging at the troops. Realizing the danger to his own troops as they were under inadequate cover, Sepoy Shailesh Kumar Singh with utter disregard to his own safety swiftly moved forward, firing the MGL accurately, killing two terrorists and saved the lives of his fellow soldiers. In the firefight, Sepoy Shailesh Kumar Singh sustained bullet injuries and made the supreme sacrifice.

Sepoy Sangat Singh (No-4579271), Shaurya Chakra (Posthumous).

On 11 May, 2010 based on information supplied by a unit source about the presence of terrorists in a village in Kupwara district of Jammu and Kashmir, the village was cordoned off and close cordon laid on target house. At approximately 1355 hours the terrorists tried to break the cordon and troops came under indiscriminate fire of terrorists from close range. Realizing the possibility of escape by the terrorists escaping and the keeping in mind the safety of his comrades, Sepoy Sangat Singh with utter disregard for his personal safety, crawled through indiscriminate fire and further closed in to the nala next to the target house. Though critically injured, he took up a suitable position, brought down effective fire from pointblank range and lobbed a grenade, thereby eliminating two hardcore terrorists single-handedly till he fell down unconscious. Sepoy Sangat Singh’s presence of mind ensured there was no collateral damage or loss of property.

Kirti Chakra Recipients

Major Rahul Gurung (IC-67257), Kirti Chakra.

On 17 February, 2010, inputs were received from sources regarding the movement of underground elements through the corridor in Ukhrul district of Manipur. Major Rahul Gurung planned multiple ambushes in the areas of the riverbed and the valley. At 2250 hours, the infiltrating party of terrorists was intercepted by Major Gurung’s ambush party and in the firefight Major Gurung shot dead one terrorist. Another terrorist took cover behind a tree and was firing on the ambush party. Major Gurung sensing the urgency of situation, displaying undaunted bravery and inspirational courage, crawled towards the hiding terrorist and without regard for his personal safety, shot the terrorist from point blank range. The terrorists broke contact but Major Rahul Gurung and his party chased the group and subsequently three more terrorists were gunned down.

Captain Deepak Sharma (SS-42132), Kirti Chakra (Posthumous).

On 04 March, 2010, terrorists were hiding in a room which could not be cleared by any means other than close quarter intervention, due to the close proximity of the large Jama Masjid mosque in Pulwama district of Jammu & Kashmir. At 0815 hours, Captain Deepak Sharma closed in with his buddy and entered the house through a small window by lobbing hand grenades. At point blank range he fired and killed one terrorist in the first room. Then he crawled to the next room under heavy volume of fire from the terrorists and lobbed another grenade. On spotting two terrorists under a staircase, he charged at them with steely grit and utter disregard for his own safety, killing them on the spot. During the firefight, he sustained a bullet injury on his neck, to which he later succumbed.

Lieutenant Vikas Sharma (IC-70886), Kirti Chakra.

Lieutenant Vikas Sharma at 1630 hours on 11 August, 2010 noticed movement on a ridge in Bandipore forest in Jammu and Kashmir. He divided his party and approached the top from two sides. The presence of the terrorists was confirmed at a distance of 300 meters. He immediately engaged them with snipers, shooting one terrorist. Two terrorists took cover and returned fire. Lieutenant Vikas Sharma directed his sniper to engage the second terrorist from a flank while he and his buddy encircled him from another side. He closed up to 20 meters to take accurate shots and killed him. The third terrorist was entrenched between two rocks and was evading fire. Lieutenant Vikas Sharma redeployed his LMG (Light Machine Gun) to cover his movement and closed on him, making excellent use of the ground. His move was detected by the terrorist who fired at him. Lieutenant Vikas Sharma was undaunted and fearlessly kept closing on him and shot him dead at a 15 meters.

Lieutenant Vikrant Ajit Deshmukh (IC-70971), Kirti Chakra.

On 27 June, 2010, Lieutenant Vikrant Ajit Deshmukh was part of a search party that set out on a specific search of the general area of a village in Kupwara District of Jammu & Kashmir on receipt of intelligence indicating the presence of a group of terrorists. While following a trail hit upon during the search, the party was fired upon by terrorists at 1840 hours. In the ensuing firefight, Lieutenant Vikrant Ajit Deshmukh sustained a bullet injury on his abdomen, in spite of which, he opened fire at close range and killed two terrorists who were trying to escape. The terrorists also hurled grenades at his team, after which he fell down the steep spurs of a ridge, without his weapon, along with four troopers and got separated from the rest during the fall. He silently held on to his senses alone for three and a half hours till a search party reached him. The officer negotiated 1.5 kilometer of steep spurs and nalas on foot with a smiling face during his extrication.

Naik Rajinder Singh (No-2894796), Kirti Chakra.

On 29 August, 2010, a scout party was fired upon during the search of a village in Baramullah district of Jammu and Kashmir. Naik Rajinder Singh, along with other scouts, returned effective fire, pinning down terrorists and cutting off their escape route. During the firefight, he eliminated one terrorist who was trying to escape. Intermittent firing continued and terrorist hiding inside cave kept lobbing grenades to prevent the troopers from closing in. As it was getting dark, Naik Rajinder Singh volunteered to crawl in close to the cave and engage the terrorists hiding inside. He crawled towards the cave under intense fire and fired one complete magazine from his AK-47 rifle. The terrorists lobbed grenades towards him from inside the cave. Displaying astute presence of mind and sharp reflexes, he used a rock to protect himself from the grenade splinters. He then crawled to the mouth of cave and brought effective fire on the terrorists, eliminating three of them.

  2 comments for “8 minute readArmy Roll of Honor

  1. Guest
    February 25, 2011 at 8:10 am

    where’s the content of this news? how come it disappeared all of a sudden? restore it as soon as possible.

So what do you think?